Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
 Post subject: Re: Travel Pictures
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:22 pm 
$
$

thanks for the wonderful pics, Cecil. I've been to MT a dozen or more times (going again in early Sept) and I've never been to Glacier. Many have told me it's the best.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:08 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Looks great Cecil- thanks for posting! I like the mountain goat one. What are those red truck things? Transports?
I am looking forward to seeing Montana for the first time in a few weeks.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:48 pm 
$
$

BenMN wrote:
Looks great Cecil- thanks for posting! I like the mountain goat one. What are those red truck things? Transports?
I am looking forward to seeing Montana for the first time in a few weeks.
They are the "red buses." They are the original Glacier fleet from the mid 1930s made by White Co. They were refurbished several years ago by Ford, so they have all modern running gear. Each seats 16 (four rows of four) + 1 in shotgun and has a manually retractable canvas top. We took the all-day tour which went from West to East glacier and back over the Road to the Sun. It was awesome, well worth it to have someone else drive so you can gawk. The convertible top lets you see so much more than you do in a car, and the drivers are very well schooled. Our driver was a retired Ranger from Teton. Well worth the price.

Last edited by cecil47 on Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:48 pm 
$
$

cecil,
thank you for posting

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:14 pm 
$
$

Just back from the annual fishing/golfing/ riding (for the ladies) visit to Montana. Rather than bore everyone again with fish pictures, I thought I'd show a few snaps of Livingston, a town that time forgot. First photo is me with SWMBO, taken at "The beginning of beyond," a spot on the gavel road leading to my friend's cabins, which always informs my spirit that I've left my cares behind me:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:59 am 
Platinum Member

^Rambler, great stuff. Any more images of what appears to be a magnificent wildflower meadow?

Maine.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:49 pm 
$
$

Ah, Maine. Didn't make it this year, first time in a decade. Sadly, no more wildflower snaps. Not a meadow, but a cottage-type garden, planted almost entirely with Montana roadside weeds, as well as some wildflowers - Mexican Hat, Mullein, Daisies, wild Bergamot and Columbine, things like that. My pal Frank is a gardening genius.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:45 pm 
$
$

[quote="The Rambler"]Just back from the annual fishing/golfing/ riding (for the ladies) visit to Montana. Rather than bore everyone again with fish pictures, I thought I'd show a few snaps of Livingston, a town that time forgot. First photo is me with SWMBO, taken at "The beginning of beyond," a spot on the gavel road leading to my friend's cabins, which always informs my spirit that I've left my cares behind me:

I never imagined leaving New Mexico, but someday I think we will live in Montana. It seems inevitable, much to the consternation of my step-daughter in Missoula.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:51 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Great photos guys. Here are a few from Montana that I neglected to put up...
The Boone & Crockett club, housed in an old restored train station on the banks of the Clark Fork river. Lots of history re: Lewis and Clark, Teddy Roosevelt.... many distinguished members over the years. Limited to 100 ppl at a time, and devoted to preservation of our wild lands and responsible harvest + land management.
Also record- keepers for game animals, with many mounts:
The Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation is on the other side of town
A "trading post" we stopped in outside of Lincoln
Upper Blackfoot outside of Lincoln
Pre-dawn driftboats
Long, enjoyable days. Evening on an upper Blackfoot tributary.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:38 pm 
$
$

I enjoyed a week in La Rochelle, France earlier this month.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:58 pm 
$
$

Just back from a conference in Laguna Niguel and a weekend in Napa.

Breakfast. Champagne and a bacon cheese scone from Bouchon.
Roofline at Chandon, meant to mimic wine barrels.
Tanks for wine used to make champagne.
Lots of them! Each is at least 12 feet in diameter.
Artsy shot
Lunch - Champagne with oysters topped with bernaise & flashed in the salamander.
View from the very front of the catamaran on which we sailed in search of whales (none) and dolphins (some) off Dana Point.
California Sea Lions. You can tell that's what they are because we were in California and you can Sea them Lion around (groan).
Great to be back home at sunset.

Last edited by cecil47 on Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:07 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Great contributions to this thread lately.

Montana is a magical place. I've been all over the southern, southeastern and northeastern part of the state. One place I hope to visit again soon is the Kalispell/Whitefish area. I first discovered this area when a good friend of mine and I were sort of haphazardly bouncing around the state. We wondered around downtown Whitefish one evening and, both being musicians, stumbled into a bar called The Great Northern and participated in its open mic. We rocked the house. I'll never forget that.

This isn't a great photo, but it's the only one I have of Whitefish and catches the mountain in the background where the ski resort is located.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:26 pm 
$
$

Dove hunting last weekend in southern NM. A cold front moved in on Saturday and the birds were nowhere...until we had packed up the guns and the dog. Then they were coming in randomly, in fast pairs or threes looking to roost in the mesquite bushes. A mad scramble ensued to extract said guns and dog from the back of the truck and get some shots off before darkness really set in. Image

I could tell you the birds were so thick you could pick them off the bushes with your bare hands...but that would be a lie.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:35 pm 
$
$

A few more California pics from Mrs. C's camera:
MUSHROOM HEAVEN in Berkeley. I was the only one in town wearing plaid that wasn't hipster.
Incredible wax & green bean salad with smoked trout and a lemon dressing at Goose & Gander in St. Helena.
Raymond Winery harvest party.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:06 pm 
$
$

^^Hey Cecil, are you shooting a Model 12?

Scott

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next