Post subject: Gardening season
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:26 am 
Platinum Member

The crocus serves as my signal that gardening season has arrived. Spent some pleasant hours transplanting yesterday under the direction of the Classic beauty. She's a farm girl and has never given up her love of plants and nature. First, I sharpened the blades of the garden spade and the trenching shovel, then dug out five shrubs that had overgrown their stations in the gardens and the Atrium. Dug out their new spots, and after adding fertilizer and a couple other helper ingredients, plopped the transplants into their new locations. The Classic Beauty does not entrust to me the replacing and compacting of the soil necessary to avoid air gaps around the transplant. I am, however, allowed to haul water to those areas too remote for our hoses.

After the work was done, we recollected a long ago time: When we were 26 and had moved into our first house (the 1848 fieldstone Greek Revival), We arranged with the owner of an adjacent forest to buy, dig up, move by wheelbarrow and transplant some younger trees from his forest. Five bucks a tree. We gave him $75 and began digging. Kept the root ball at about 30 inches wide and 24 inches deep. We both had to lift the trees and their root balls into the wheelbarrow. Wheeling them through a rocky forest to the closest road was no mean feat for me. The road from the forest to our home was on a slight uphill grade, and about 800 feet from our house. Nonetheless, we dug out and moved all 15, dug their receiving holes, and transplanted them. They all lived and thrived.

Age has taken a toll on me. The puny work I did yesterday was laughably small in comparison to those long ago efforts. Tired me a bit, though. We were both able to laugh at the change time has wrought. Still, it's something we enjoy and keep doing with whatever energy and muscle remains in our 72 year-old bodies.

Post subject: Re: Gardening season
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:15 pm 
Platinum Member

The Classic Beauty has been a gardener her entire life. Maybe it comes from growing up a farm girl, or maybe she's just wired that way. Regardless, I am the beneficiary of her plans, plantings, and tending of our gardens. In spite of my peripatetic ways, she's created new ones wherever we've moved. Nothing prepared me for Springs like the ones that occur in the Carolinas! They are lush beyond my understanding. Here are a few pictures that make me hum the old song, "Nothin' could be finah than to be in Carolina in the morning':

Dogwood, Forsythia, Daffodils & Vinca

Eastern Redbud

Dogwood blossoms and Daffodils in the background

Azalea Blossoms

Greener than Green

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 5:52 pm 
Platinum Member

Billax, after looking at your landscape images above back in April (with some climate envy) I can finally say we are close, on 5/5, to where you were on 4/13. Not quite, since Cornus florida bracts are just showing, but Cercis, Amelanchier, Prunus, Magnolia, Pyrus, Forsythia, Daffodils, Tulips, etc., are about peak flowering. Turf was cut for the first time 5/2. Mrs. Ensiferous has been doing some veg garden prep, and eagerly anticipates its planting-out.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 6:32 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

The Julia Childs from my grandmother's garden has taken swimmingly to life with my GF. We didn't even have to cu it back and it's blooming again already. The other two roses we've had to cut back and let them grow roots. We'll be passing through my hometown in a couple weeks and she's planning on getting a few more bushes for her garden. We might even pick up a couple of her namesake bushes.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:16 pm 
Platinum Member

Today's project:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:06 am 
Platinum Member

Very nice, lc. I believe we've seen your plot before - from a different angle. Nice to see it being planted out!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:05 pm 
Platinum Member

Thanks Bill, the only other photos of this that I posted were in the WAYW thread, maybe that's what you mean?

It was quite a project getting all that in there, it was previously a really ratty (mostly) concrete and brick back alley. Hopefully enough light comes in between the buildings and these plants stick around.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:03 pm 
Platinum Member

leisureclass wrote:
Thanks Bill, the only other photos of this that I posted were in the WAYW thread, maybe that's what you mean?

It was quite a project getting all that in there, it was previously a really ratty (mostly) concrete and brick back alley. Hopefully enough light comes in between the buildings and these plants stick around.
"Thanks Bill, the only other photos of this that I posted were in the WAYW thread, maybe that's what you mean?"

Yup, that's the one.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:21 pm 
Platinum Member

It's great seeing everyone's contributions to this thread. I am currently struggling with these Sun Impatiens. I do however love my porch. It is very relaxing.

I chose a bad time lighting wise to take pics. I will take more later. I have a few more updates to make.

Less of a Preppy Blog

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:13 pm 
Platinum Member

OCBD wrote:
It's great seeing everyone's contributions to this thread. I am currently struggling with these Sun Impatiens. I do however love my porch. It is very relaxing.

I chose a bad time lighting wise to take pics. I will take more later. I have a few more updates to make.
Nice porch garden OCBD! Shows a pleasant combination of charming and dramatic.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:58 pm 
Platinum Member

The Holly trees have set their Berries. They're still Green, but it won't be to many more months until they turn Red while the leaves stay Dark Green. No wonder Holly is a Christmas staple. Don't know about Holly Trees in other areas, but in North Carolina the great battle to devour the ripe Berries of the Holly takes place in the Fall between huge flocks of Robins and equally large flocks of Cedar Waxwings. A big Holly will hold well over 200 birds, and in one full day all the Berries will be eaten. There is no interspecies sharing of the Holly Berries. It's one or the other! Amazing to see a 40 foot tree covered with Cedar Waxwings. There for a day... then GONE, along with all the Berries!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:16 pm 
Platinum Member

Billax, yes, you are going to have a nice berry crop there for the Waxwings.

OCBD, what a fantastic job you have done. And to accent your work, that porch has excellent (and correct) architectural lines with proper entablature, columns, caps, bases, etc.

leisureclass has a very lovely garden helper (or Mrs. LC might really be the supervisor :wink: )

After a decent crop of June bearing strawberries, the everbearing are flowering & setting. We are now picking a gorgeous haul of Sugar Snap Peas. Zucchini plants are growing expansively. Tomatoes & peppers look promising. Wish we planted a few more Thai basil since I really like cooking with it as much as Italian basil.

Ornamental perennial flowers are coming in well.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:48 am 
Platinum Member

Ensiferous wrote:
...to accent your work, that porch has excellent (and correct) architectural lines with proper entablature, columns, caps, bases, etc.

... We are now picking a gorgeous haul of Sugar Snap Peas.
Ensiferous,
There may be a few guys in the world who know their architectural details as well their plants, but not many! It's a delight to know someone who shares so many of my interests and enthusiasms. Oh, Yeah: Menswear, too!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:46 pm 
Platinum Member

Billax wrote:
It's a delight to know someone who shares so many of my interests and enthusiasms.
Thank you Bill. I greatly value our conversations and shared interests as well.

I like your term "enthusiasms," because I tend to be passionate about things that truly interest me, and it is engaging (and rare) to find others who are simpatico.

But please don't confer an undeserved level of knowledge upon me; I am merely curious and frequently clueless.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:32 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Here's a gardening related story that happened none too long ago. Now neither my father nor I have much in the way of green thumbs, we can weed if you tell us what to pull out and usually won't overwarter the garden too badly, but his mother was a world-renowned rosarian in her time, both as a competitor and a judge. Her favorites were the old garden roses, but at her height she had a little of everything represented in the 850 bushes in her garden. I've got many fond memories of long afternoons spent trimming the roses with my grandmother, taking frequent breaks to snack on fresh scuppernongs, bartlet pears, persimmons and kiwis from the back lot.

By the time she passed away last easter morning (from late-stage Alzheimers), the number of bushes had dwindled quite a bit. After we concentrated the best and hardiest of her remaining roses into two large beds, culled the ones that had died back to the rootstock, and opened the remainder up to growers attending a local rose show there were a little over a dozen bushes left. Those last few have found a new home in the North Carolina mountains with my girlfriend where they're doing as well as the initial three. Though Liesl and my grandmother never had the chance to meet before my grandmother was far along her slow decline, I know she'd approve of where her roses have ended up.

I'll be sure to update y'all later this spring with some pictures after they've started blooming