Post subject: Great Backyard Bird Count
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:43 pm 
Platinum Member

Next three days are the Classic Beauty's favorites of the year. She almost forgets that one of the three is Valentine's Day! It the GREAT BACKYARD BIRD COUNT, sponsored by the Audobon Society and Cornell University's Ornithology Lab. You can read purpose and details here: http://www.arkansasmatters.com/story/d/ ... n9hvuy28Nw

It's snowing in North Carolina and that's good news. The birds hungrily cluster around bird feeders, especially where there's Suet to keep them warm.

Here's the way it looks today as we both anticipate the days ahead:

Dogwood dressed in snowflakes

Empty Mailboxes as the Postal Service can't traverse the roads

Snow covered Azalea bush with Ice Sculpture

Chickadee on Silo filled with Black Oil Sunflower seed

Bluebird (fluffed to keep body heat in – same principle as a Down Jacket) on Hot Pepper Suet. Birds do not have taste buds. Squirrels and Raccoons do. Only birds like this suet! :twisted:

Red breasted Nuthatch (Nuthatches, woodpeckers, and a few other species are 'clingers.' They spend a lot of time on the trunks of trees, perambulating up and down, looking for bugs and grubs. Their claws are unlike 'perchers' who merely sit on tree branches.)

Post subject: Re: Great Backyard Bird Count
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:18 pm 
Platinum Member

Very nice, Billax. Gorgeous Cornus florida.

I am not a serious birder by any means, but I admire birds and make an effort to notice them.

The only bird of special interest to me that I have seen lately is one of my absolute favorites, the Northern Goshawk. That big raptor is like an A-10 Thunderbolt.

I have heard, but did not see, Barred and Great Horned Owls.

There were Snowy Owls down at the shore, but I didn't get there to see them, unfortunately.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:03 pm 
Platinum Member

Thanks for the Cornus Florida comment, Ensiferous!

We have a Barred Owl who hunts our property. They're very appealing to birders as they are one of the few Owls who are daytime hunters. Here's our local top bird:

This one is at the upper boundary of Barred Owl sizes at about 24" long with a wingspan a little over four feet. I happen to know these sizes pretty accurately because one summer's day I had pelletted a pesky Squirrel that had been filching Sunflower seeds from my back deck. The Barred Owl ate him COMPLETELY in one sitting, but because this was a bigger than normal meal for a Barred Owl, apparently couldn't get airborne for a half hour or so. He sat on the ground, wings open. He was freakin' beautiful! I took a picture, then later went out and took the measurements from reference points in the picture. I momently thought myself clever! Thought you'd appreciate the pic and the story.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:15 pm 
Platinum Member

A Barred Owl working your property is some good birding kismet, Billax.