Post subject: "Most Trad" Real Estate
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:07 pm 
Platinum Member

I'm not in the market to buy or anything, but I do occasionally look at local listings or real estate blogs to see what's out there in the area. I just came across this absolute beauty that made me think of TC, and of the recent discussion in the WAYT thread of traditional interior design. So here she is, in all her glory: http://www.trulia.com/homes/Massachuset ... 8#photo-11 - not really very representative of the Mid-century style of that discussion, but still.

Couldn't you image the most amazing heavily bearded, tweedy, pipe smoking, cracked shoe professor living here? Of course the ad talks about renovations, and the price is obscenely high and it went over asking, but that's the way the market is around here these days. It will probably be gutted and turned into condos before long, so enjoy this perfectly cluttered beauty while you still can.

So, when you think of traditional interiors or exteriors what do you think of? Do you have one? Please share

Post subject: Re: "Most Trad" Real Estate
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:19 pm 
Platinum Member

When I think of "traditional" homes and interiors, I tend to favor classic (e.g., "timeless") designs. Mid-century modern has never really "done it" for me, but I can appreciate it for the art form that it is. Billax's home is stunning.

My tastes definitely tend towards the Colonial American period (typ. 18th c.) and Colonial revival, although I have a fondness for the Craftsman period (early 20th c.) as well - I just don't happen to own any of it. IMO, the most comfortable "style" is one that is dominated by a certain period, but not a slave to it. I don't really like the "decorated look" very much. I prefer a home that looks like it was put together with love, gradually, rather than done all at once, as by a designer. Ideally, one's furnishings tell a story of the owners.

Similar to MCM, I wouldn't want to live in a Victorian house, and don't particularly like Victorian furnishings and decor, but when it's done right, it's quite impressive.

Most people these days are as ambivalent about their houses and furnishings as they are their clothes. There's no real attempt to integrate things, and their tastes change with the times. Any time I run into somebody who "gets it," whatever the period or architectural style, I take notice and appreciate it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:25 pm 
Platinum Member

I like stuff like this (see pics below). This is the neighborhood that I live in. I live in an old house in that is divided into 4 apartments. and they are all nice people. However for comparison my neighbor's house on one side is an older couple who have immaculate gardens and are very kind ppl. On the other side is a halfway house turned flop house. The foot traffic is sketchy,, but my porch is great (and cheap!). I also think that Billax modern stuff is great.

Less of a Preppy Blog

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:22 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Oxford, that is my kind of property! I will have to take some shots of Summit Ave in Saint Paul for this thread, I think you would like it. Your neighborhood is beautiful, thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:51 pm 
Platinum Member

Agreed, what a beautiful 'hood you live in OCBD. The Mrs. and I are moving apartments shortly, and we're headed to arguably the most classic and old fashioned neighborhood in Boston. Photos coming soon.

Also, sad to see the photos from my first post are already gone. If you missed them, just imagine C.J. Cregg's Dad's house in the West Wing, the place was a dead ringer for it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:59 pm 
Platinum Member

Thanks Ben and LC! I don't won't to downplay the fact that it really is two nice blocks in what is now a very middle to low class 'hood. However, there are some very beautiful homes around me. My house also faces a funeral home that was once the home of Ohio's 40th (1896 - 1900) Gov Asa Bushnell. Here is a bit more about it http://www.springfieldohiohistory.net/a ... d=14934511

I have also added a few more pics from the neighborhood that I want to someday live in. Not as old, but nicer, safer and still pretty trad.

Less of a Preppy Blog

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:31 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I think there should be some consideration given to local architectural styles and materials. For example, if I lived in New England I believe I would favor a traditional clapboard frame house and if I were in the mid-Atlantic, which is rich in field stone, would favor a stone house.

As I live in the mid-Atlantic, it's nice to be in a stone house.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:59 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I agree, Sartre. I live in New England (Northwestern Connecticut) and the houses I like are usually saltboxes with stained siding, rambling additions, and landscaping that barely deviates from a few shades of green along with some stone walls. If there's a dark red barn on the property so be it.

When I lived in Maryland there were much more of the federal and revival type houses - though most were build very recently.