Post subject: Heisman trip
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:59 pm 

So, first post and this seemed as appropriate as anything else. I just finished gathering myself after a busy four day trip to New York. Long story short, my nephew was one of the six male national finalists for Wendys High School Heisman. However his team was scheduled to play its first ever state football semi-final game on the same night as the awards taping. Naturally he chose to stay and play with his team, as we hoped he would. He then asked myself and his grandfather to go to New York to stand in for him. The days were tightly scheduled and looonnngg, but some of the highlights.

-First, being a doting uncle, all of the kids up for the award were great! Polite, inquisitive and sharp!

-I was fortunate to meet Archie Griffin (gentlemen and Sharpie connoisseur), Manti Te'o, Johnny Manziel (both terrific and I am a Bama fan) as well as Joe Tessitore.

-The ceremony for the kids will be on ESPN2 at 1:00-1:30 on Saturday 12/15. You will be able to see the back of my nappy head for about 5 seconds just before the winners are announced :lol: I am in the second row by the center aisle.

-We did get to sit in on the actual Heisman Broadcast, so getting to see the behind the scenes of it all was a lot of fun. Watching Des Howard constantly adjusting his tie and suit during the breaks was funny. I actually thought Corso was dead for a minute or two.

-One of the funnier moments was getting sent out a side entrance after the broadcast next to Coach Kelly from Notre Dame. Half the people behind the barricade stuck things out for me to sign, even though they had no idea who I was :)

And, drumroll, my nephews team won their game!!! We go to the Georgia Dome Saturday for the State Championship. As it turns out it went down to the wire and was one of the most exciting games in school history. I did get to watch the last 30 seconds on my phone, which almost gave me a heart attack. If I had been there I might not have made it. And as I am sure it will come up, for the taping I wore a BB 3/2 charcoal suit, RLPL silver and black tie (my nephews school colors) and AE PAs. All in all a great weekend!

Post subject: Re: Heisman trip
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:03 pm 
Platinum Member

Welcome! Wow, what a first post! Sounds like a memorable time. Post pics! :)

Be on the lookout for your signature on eBay. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:22 pm 

Thanks for sharing this. Sounds like a great trip.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:55 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Sounds like a great trip- welcome aboard!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:25 pm 

That sounds like an awesome trip, but I hope you're not a Bama fan living in Georgia territory!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:57 am 

nerdykarim wrote:
That sounds like an awesome trip, but I hope you're not a Bama fan living in Georgia territory!
Thanks to everyone. Technically I am a Bama fan living in Vol country. We lived in Birmingham in the mid to late 70's and moved to the NW GA/Chattanooga area soon after. One sister converted to TN and the other ended up marrying a Dawg. I held firm :) . Oddly enough about half of my friends are Auburn fans. Funny how things work out.
Topsider wrote:
Welcome! Wow, what a first post! Sounds like a memorable time. Post pics!
Out of the whole trip I wound up in maybe two pictures :lol: Well, it wasn't about me anyway. My sister confiscated all of the cameras when we got back, so I will have to see if any of the pics were worth sharing once she finishes with them.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:39 pm 

Being an Auburn alum, this is the dark ages. AU is terrible, and Bama is unstoppable.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:43 am 

Well, I guess if I would have known you were minion of the dark lord of college football, I might have thrown my black ball when you came up for a bid.

Seriously, sounds like a great time and glad to have you here.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:18 am 
$
$

Welcome to the board, and congrats to your nephew and to the Panthers! Watching the finals at the Dome is a great experience.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:49 pm 

Well, I guess if I would have known you were minion of the dark lord of college football, I might have thrown my black ball when you came up for a bid.

Seriously, sounds like a great time and glad to have you here.

A sincere thanks! And BTW I pride myself on not being one of THOSE fans.

Welcome to the board, and congrats to your nephew and to the Panthers! Watching the finals at the Dome is a great experience.

To say the kids are excited is an understatement. And to say we are proud of them is even more so. We will probably at least two touchdown underdogs, so honestly the pressure is off.