Post subject: Sailing
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:21 pm 

I was wondering if there were many sailors on the board. I scanned a thread stared by Naval Gent with some excellent pictures of the Bahamas. My wife, father-in-law, and I stared a sailing class together last week. It's a six week class with a classroom session on Thursday nights and on the water on Sundays. We didn't get to go out yesterday because the wind was 15-20 mph :shock: , which we were informed wouldn't be ideal for beginners to try to learn in. There is a lot more than one would think to sailing and, wow, the many different terms and parts of the boat to learn..... Anyway, just wondering if anyone does much sailing, and can offer any advice.

Post subject: Re: Sailing
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:52 pm 
$
$

I'd really like to. My dad used to sail a lot, had 2 boats with friends, but sold them when I was born. recently, he's been wanting to get back into it, but not while I'm too busy to do it with him. Hopefully sometime in the next couple of years, though. It looks like a blast.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:16 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Maybe a more experienced seaman can speak to this, but when I'm on a motor boat I enjoy myself. When I'm on a sailboat I get sea sick. Even if I'm not actively darting all over the craft pulling and tying ropes and whatnot. I'm assuming that a sailboat just moves a hell of a lot more than a motor boat. So I'd love to sail, but not as much as I love not throwing up.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:26 pm 

I went for the first time last summer after a couple classroom sessions. I thought it was a ton of fun and I really enjoyed the technical part of it, but it can get really frenetic when the wind picks up--especially when you have to pause and think for a couple seconds before figuring out what you're supposed to do with the ropes.Image
This is right after a 20 minute summer storm during which I lost my hat and seriously thought the boat was going to capsize.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:18 pm 
$
$

My dad sailed some on Lake Michigan when he was younger. When he moved to Colorado, that pretty much ended, until we got a 19' Lightning (all wood!) when I was young. It was salmon pink when we got it. We stripped it, re-varnished and repainted it bright red. Moored it in Ruedi reservoir. COLD snowmelt water and very squirrelly winds due to the surrounding mountains, but a great time every summer. Never sailed seriously on any big water, but had great fun on that little lake.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:38 am 
$
$

My sailing experience has been strictly as incompetent crewman -"er, which rope do I pull on?' but I love sailing and have enjoyed some remarkable cruises. In '78 sailed from Camden ME to Labrador and back on uncle Charlie Tillinghast's Columbia 29. Took the better part of the summer. Charlie was old school. The only navigational devices were sextant, chronometer and hand bearing compass, and there were many nights at sea and foggy days where we really didn't know where we were. Once past Nova Scotia we very rarely saw another pleasure boat. I have indelible memories of having the helm at 2am on a moonlit night in a good breeze, accompanied for miles by a large school of dolphins, quite visible in the moolight. Of pulling in to one of the free "govenment docks" which are found in every seaside village, and negotiating a dinner of scallops or cod with the local fisherman (usually it was free). As we got further north, floating ice and aurora borealis, fishing creeks that emptied in to the sea to trout that had never seen a lure.
I've had a couple of other cruises by motor to the Maritimes, on a very comfy yacht with gps and hot showers. Delightful, but not at all the same.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:42 am 
$
$

Rambler, that trip sounds incredible

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:23 pm 
$
$

One of the best things I ever did. The next summer he took it across the Atlantic, to Oban, Scotland, and I declined his invitation to crew for him. That was one of the worst things I ever did, still regret it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:41 pm 

Yes, excellent Rambler. Sounds like an unforgettable adventure.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:18 pm 
$
$

My offshore sailing has always been as crew. I would like to be able to step up to skipper, but from years in the Navy I understand the responsibilities all too well, and it is a daunting prospect. There is just no practical way to work up to it here inland. My recent sailing activity has been to dip a toe into the waters of boatbuilding, with my wooden row/sail 12 footer. Since I'm back from deployment I'm looking forward to a warm and windy day (a rare occurance around here).

Scott

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:08 pm 
$
$

See, now mine sounds like paddling around in a puddle! Rambler, sounds incredible, something I wish I would have done when I was young, but never would have. NG, Boat building is a whole 'nother realm...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:43 pm 

Naval Gent, I see your location says Old man Kelsey's woods. Wondering if you have ever sailed Old man Kelsey's ocean? :D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:55 pm 
$
$

Hardiw1 wrote:
Naval Gent, I see your location says Old man Kelsey's woods. Wondering if you have ever sailed Old man Kelsey's ocean? :D
'Fraid not. But it's nice to meet a man who knows his boundries.

Scott

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 1:37 am 

Me and the Mrs. got keelboat certified couple of summers ago, wanted to do the coastal cruising course but got derailed by hot Texas summers and being land locked. If I lived anywhere near the coast I'd take it up full time. As I said to someone on another board, just remember your points of sail, look at your wind indicator, and you'll be okay. You'll learn a lot of cool knots (no pun intended) as well.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 10:30 pm 

Learned a lesson during class yesterday. When hit with a gust of wind turn INTO the wind, not OFF the wind. I was at the helm and got hit with about a 20 knot gust and accidentally turned downwind instead of up wind and had the boat heeled so bad that the port rail had water coming over it. We corrected fairly quickly, but it was a rodeo there for a few seconds. Feeling a lot more comfortable on the boat. Class is almost over and hopefully I can start looking for a boat sometime in the near future.