Post subject: The Super Duper
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:30 pm 
Platinum Member

The line: New England minus 3. Over/under 54.

The play: New York plus 3, and the over.

The explanation:

• Patriots are terrible against the spread. In fact, they specialize in winning by three — which, in this case, is a push (i.e. no bet, a wash, for you innocent types). Bet the Giants plus three and the only scenario you don't win on is New England winning by four or more.

• Also bear in mind New York was forced to run the table in single elimination games — beating the Jets and the Cowboys the last two weeks, and then Atlanta (in NY), at Green Bay and at SF in the playoffs. Only Atlanta was a real pushover, and GB has as good an offense as NE, if not better. The offense also overcame the SF defense, which is the best in the league.

From the film M*A*S*H:

Colonel Blake: Football game?
Gen. Hammond: Yeah, yeah, we put up a few bets, five thousand maybe, and have a little fun. Special services in Tokyo says it's one of the best gimmicks we've got to keep the American way of life going here in Asia.
Colonel Blake: Betting?
Gen. Hammond: No, football!

Post subject: Re:The Super Duper
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:42 pm 
$
$

I really wish I cared more about the game. I feel less American for caring more about the Chelsea - Man U game on Fox this morning than the super bowl tonight (great result for me in the soccer game). The way the Texans went out of it, losing to a Baltimore team I thought they were clearly better than, was just too frustrating to care about the rest of the playoffs. Plus, NY v Boston? Just don't care

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:06 pm 
Platinum Member

Headed over to the next-door neighbor's house in a few minutes to watch the game with some of the other local folks. Not sure who I'm going to root for, as I have no particular loyalty to either team, and I have no money riding on it. I think I'll just eat and drink and root for the winner. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:51 pm 
$
$

I've got a team to cheer for, I forgot the Giants won the "how many Texas Longhorns on your team" contest (Aaron Ross makes 1)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:02 pm 
Platinum Member

Well, for two teams with suspect defenses that was a lot of defense.

A couple of things you don't often see, in a Super Bowl or any other time: a safety called on an intentional grounding, and a running back deliberately try not to score and wind up falling into the end zone anyway.

I clicked on the spread pick but no-go on the over, at 38 way, way under 54.