Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 214 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 615 Next
 Post subject: Re:Fishing
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:08 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Looks like lots of fun Patrick. I don't kill 'em either.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:38 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Second time out to the home water this year...
By benmn at 2011-06-26
First wild brown, hasty shot- then back home!
By benmn at 2011-06-26
This river has not been stocked since 1974. It is a spring creek but is still subject to runoff.
A typical view upstream, looking quite a bit like the freestone streams around here:
By benmn at 2011-06-26
In many places it is flat like you would expect a midwest spring creek:
By benmn at 2011-06-26
With lots of challenges:
By benmn at 2011-06-26
You know there's one right there in the slack behind the tree base :blink:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:36 am 
$
$

Looks like wonderful fun, boys. Patrick, your post about small-stream/small brookie fishing brings up a paradox I have trouble resolving, to wit: a small, wild trout is one of nature's true delicacies; a farmed trout, raised on mostly corn (don't see many fish browsing in the cornrows) tastes like muddy crap.Yet, surely, if catch- and- release means anything, it's those little jewels, the wild ones, that should be let go. What's a hungry yet not totally insensative person to do? Over time, C+R makes a big difference in the local population (both fish and fishermen); but wild trout, cooked on the spot, provides the deeest rationale to the sport. What's a person to do?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:36 pm 
Platinum Member

^ Use discretion. One wild trout meal per season, for two people, isn't going to hurt anything.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:22 pm 
$
$

Made the effort to get up pre-dawn yesterday, rewarded with a sizeable striper on a fly rod, Rowayton, CT. I don't get many of them. Fed 5 that night.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:33 am 
Platinum Member

Now that's something I want to do. Never been saltwater fishing, except some surfcasting as a kid.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:35 am 
Platinum Member

It rained buckets in N.Y. on Sunday, which wouldn't have been an insurmountable problem except that it was accompanied by thunder and occasional lightning. I draw the line at getting fried.

Finally toward evening the skies cleared and I managed to horse a couple of browns out of some pretty murky water.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:01 am 
$
$

Patrick wrote:
Now that's something I want to do. Never been saltwater fishing, except some surfcasting as a kid.
fishing subtropical flats, mostly knee deep or less, on foot, looking for bonefish (and maybe permit or small tarpon) is flyfishing at its best: pure sight fishing, demanding casting, often in high wind, to fish which are exceedingly spooky, but will almost always bite if you do everything right, and put you into your backing before your heart starts beating again. Flyrod is the perfect tool, because they often zig and zag and you need to get off another cast immediatly, and can't waste time reeling in. Northeastern fly fishing, otoh, you often feel that the flyrod is the wrong tool. Surfcasting, it's just hard to get the fly (heavy streamer actually) far enough out into the wind, and it's mostly blind casting. However, cruising a bay in a small boat looking for great columns of birds feeding on a school of baitfish driven to the surface by blues or stripers is hugely exciting. If you get there fast enough you can find yourself in the middle of half an acre boiling with fish who have tossed caution to the winds, hit hard, and are incredibly strong. Sharp teeth so you need a good shock tippet, and a pair of pliers to unhook them before they nail you.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:27 pm 
Platinum Member

There's a fly shop in New Hartford, Up Country, and a contingent of saltwater fly-rodders gathers there and shoots the bull. I don't know what they're talking about but it sure sounds like fun.

I thought a monkey wrench or a police baton was the preferred tool for getting them before they get you.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:10 pm 
$
$

a "priest" as they used to say.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:11 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I loved to fish when I was younger but, like many endeavors of youth, it feel by the wayside. At the urging of my wife, I took my 7 year old son fishing for the first time yesterday at a local lake. I had very low expectations but, much to my chagrin, he absolutely loved it as did I.

He caught himself a nice sized bass and some crappies. He even said that fishing was more fun than XBox 360.

Like Satre, I have a hard time following the discussion of Patrick and Rambler, but would like to try fly fishing sometime.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:11 pm 
$
$

This is turning in to a banner grasshopper year here in the Delaware Valley, and I just love hopper fishing. Nothing gets hit harder than a cunning hopper imitation, plopped right against the bank.In Montana and Wyoming, where locusts abound, big, wary trout that turn their noses up even at tiny trico imitations fished on spiderweb leaders in the middle of a hatch, explode on hoppers. And this year, with hoppers everywhere, they're doing it here, too.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:39 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

^^Great fun!! I do like those foam body new-age hoppers with the rubber legs and all. It has been too hot for trout here for at least a week, though in early August I will be on Lake creek Alaska for silver salmon and maybe some big rainbows too. I hear the 'bows can be had on deer hair mice much like we fish hoppers in our local waters for stream trout. Full report mid August :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:54 am 
$
$

lucky you, Ben: full report, with photos if possible, please.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:10 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

^^OK here it goes...
Flight from the busiest seaplane airport in the world usually happens in a DeHavilland "Beaver", roughly the size of a large SUV. These things are old (estimate 1960's) Interior of cabin, featuring Bills khakis ;)
By benmn at 2011-08-24
On clear days Mt. McKinley is visible (the highest peak in North America)
By benmn at 2011-08-24
We were after the silver, or coho salmon. This is an average one. They are speedy fighters and a very pretty fish that stays "chrome" after entering the fresh water.
By benmn at 2011-08-24
Normally a catch and release fisherman, I did kill some for the freezer. Between 20,000 and 200,000 fish were entering the river per day!
By benmn at 2011-08-24
Knife work...
By benmn at 2011-08-24
Other salmonids in abundance included the pink salmon, a large buck pictured here...
By benmn at 2011-08-24
the fierce looking chum...
By benmn at 2011-08-24
and a few sockeye, which don't bite a fly, and rainbows in the 22" range. The most interesting and rare catch is a Jack salmon, which is a resident King that never migrates to the ocean. They live like trout in the river and stay small (relative to the kings #40+ average size.
By benmn at 2011-08-24
Hope everyone else is enjoying their fishing as the summer winds down. Tight lines fellas!
By benmn at 2011-08-24
5WT vs salmon.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 214 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 615 Next