Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 214 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 515 Next
 Post subject: Re:Fishing
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 10:58 am 
$
$

Hot yesterday, heading out to try the evening hatch, fishing wet (ii.e., no waders, as is):

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 7:46 am 
Platinum Member

I'm a wet wader myself.

I picked up a pair of these Orvis shows for the purpose a couple years ago. One of the best investments ever. A real game-changer.

Only downside is that of all felt soles in the Age of Didymo — you can't stream hop unless you're carrying around hot water and bleach.

http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=28XA

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 9:15 am 
$
$

those look good, once my old sneakers go, which will be soon, I would try them, but I'm resolved to switch to rubber, or break an ankle trying.Any thoughts on rubber soles? Cleated ones? I seem to be drawn to creeks where the bottom is covered with greased bowling balls.

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 11:18 am 
Platinum Member

A studded Aqua-Stealth sole seems to be the way to go. Plain rubber boot soles are no better than old sneakers. I tried Yak Trax but they were destroyed after one session.

What a lot of guys have done is dig out their old boots, get them back to stream shape, and have different boots for different waters.

So I have a set of things for the Esopus, which is infected, and another for tribs, which aren't. It's not foolproof, but better than blundering around spreading the stuff.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 1:44 pm 
Platinum Member

Fished the Housatonic just below the Great Falls in Falls Village yesterday. Saw a couple of interesting things:

1. A group of five young men, clearly urbanites, "fishing" by leaping around on rocks, flogging the water with spinning rods, shoving nets under rocks, and simply jumping up and down. All to no effect.

2. This section of the river is warm. I caught a dozen crappies — I think, I'm no panfish expert — and then waded in to get a better look at the gigantic carp that cruise these waters. Then I started to wonder if they bite, and got the hell out.

Tonight I am going to go for brookies in a little mountain stream.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 2:11 pm 
$
$

They do, a few years ago,on the Tulpehocken, near Reading, I drifted a small nymph that I had covered in algae almost right in to the mouth of a big one, and he chomped it and took off like a Caterpillar D6, i.e., slow and unstoppable. After 5 or 10 minutes, I broke him off on purpose.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 2:20 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

^ I am quite enjoying this exchange, even though I understand only every fourth word. May I request subtitles?

Seriously, you guys make it sound great.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 7:11 pm 
$
$

ah, well,I guess that language-wise, it's a little like saying you're wearing shell ptbs, argyles, Bills, a BB ocbd, an emblematic tied, of course, fih, and a nice 3/2 sack.:laugh:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:36 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

The Rambler wrote:
Hot yesterday, heading out to try the evening hatch, fishing wet (ii.e., no waders, as is):

Thanks for this, Rambler.

This thread needs more pictures!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:05 pm 
$
$

Oh, I agree. For some reason, the guys I fish with think taking pictures is uncool. My wife is on record saying "NOT another fish picture." However, I'm off tomorrow morning for the Poconos, for the annual "Men's Weekend," dubbed by she who must be obeyed "Old Men's Weekend" (which it rather is). It's bass fishing on rafts, powered by little electric motors, with 3 or 4 lawn chairs and a cooler of beer on the deck. Gin-clear glacial pond, full of fish. I'll try to take a few surreptitious snaps.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:46 pm 
$
$

The Rambler wrote:
Oh, I agree. For some reason, the guys I fish with think taking pictures is uncool. My wife is on record saying "NOT another fish picture." However, I'm off tomorrow morning for the Poconos, for the annual "Men's Weekend," dubbed by she who must be obeyed "Old Men's Weekend" (which it rather is). It's bass fishing on rafts, powered by little electric motors, with 3 or 4 lawn chairs and a cooler of beer on the deck. Gin-clear glacial pond, full of fish. I'll try to take a few surreptitious snaps.
nephew,

have a great time

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:54 pm 
$
$

just returned from "men's weekend," which was great fun, managed 36 holes, 2 bass fishing sorties, and a few hours on the trout stream as well; thought I'd show a picture of the "bass boat" which is capable of maybe a half knot, and another of Perry attempting to unhook a pickerel, me enjoying a little cigar:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:17 pm 
Platinum Member

Woodland Valley Creek, Phoenicia, N.Y. two weeks ago.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:28 pm 
$
$

Nice action shot, Patrick. Once a year around here, these babies let themselves down on silken thread, and the trout go crazy:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:34 pm 
Platinum Member

Wachocastinook (aka Riga) Brook this afternoon. Getting to this spot requires a fair bit of scrambling. A handy flat rock provided a place to smoke a cigar and guzzle a seltzer, and wait for the brookies to calm down after I spooked them. (Takes about 10 minutes.)

Then the lazy angler flips the elk hair Royal caddis (size 14) into the foam and bingo! A feisty and colorful 10-inch brook trout.

You might think it's a lot of work for a fish that, once gutted, would yield just enough meat to cover a saltine cracker — and you'd be right. But I love this type of small stream fishing.

Plus I never kill brookies.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 214 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 515 Next