Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 214 posts ]  Go to page Previous 111 12 13 14 15 Next
 Post subject: Re: Fishing
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 8:58 pm 
$
$

A local shop (I'm sure Patrick remembers Charlies) had a $30 all-day fly fishing workshop today. It was a toss-up between hooking up the swamp cooler and going to the workshop. It is about 85 degrees in our house this evening, so you know which one I picked. Mrs C is not amused, but I told her it could still snow one more time,like it did on Monday! Anyway, I had a great time learning about bugs, rods, leaders,tippets, etc. and spending about an hour trying to cast. All things I've wanted to learn but never felt like asking friends to give up their few fishing days teaching me. This could be a lot of fun! Mrs C asked what I was going to have to buy. Party pooper.

The answer of course is:
rod(s)
reel(s)
line(s)
leader(s)
tippet
flies
net
tools
waders
boots
books
the list goes on and on...

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 8:54 pm 
Platinum Member

I remember Charlie's well. Is Bob Gerding still around?

I busted one of the two tips of a bamboo rod once (car door, duh). Brought it in there, they just reset the top guide about four inches lower, so I have a 7 foot and a 6 foot eight inch version of the same rod. Did it in ten minutes and I think they charged me $5.

Bob told me to buy some Stimulators for a three-day trip into the Jemez watershed — Rio San Antonio, maybe. I had never seen one before. (It imitates the adult stone fly.)

I was skeptical, to say the least. But I was camping streamside, and at 3 a.m. I heard this splashing and commotion. I thought "bears are coming through the stream to attack" and wished I had a firearm. When no ferocious attack came I stuck my head out of the tent to see what was going on. The noise was from brown trout, hitting the hell out of these gigantic bugs. I immediately tied one on and fished by moonlight, catching as many as I wanted.

If you are in the market for waders, Sierra Trading Post has these Simms on sale. I bought a pair and tried them out yesterday. They work well and Simms is the gold standard. I am 5'9", 180 pounds with a size 9 foot, and the large fits me fine. I like them so much I ordered a second pair. That should keep me dry for a decade.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/simms- ... rFamily=01

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:43 pm 
Platinum Member

Here is a fishing report

http://coiledpleasures.blogspot.com/201 ... -dead.html

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:41 pm 
$
$

Patrick wrote:
I remember Charlie's well. Is Bob Gerding still around?

I busted one of the two tips of a bamboo rod once (car door, duh). Brought it in there, they just reset the top guide about four inches lower, so I have a 7 foot and a 6 foot eight inch version of the same rod. Did it in ten minutes and I think they charged me $5.

Bob told me to buy some Stimulators for a three-day trip into the Jemez watershed — Rio San Antonio, maybe. I had never seen one before. (It imitates the adult stone fly.)

I was skeptical, to say the least. But I was camping streamside, and at 3 a.m. I heard this splashing and commotion. I thought "bears are coming through the stream to attack" and wished I had a firearm. When no ferocious attack came I stuck my head out of the tent to see what was going on. The noise was from brown trout, hitting the hell out of these gigantic bugs. I immediately tied one on and fished by moonlight, catching as many as I wanted.

If you are in the market for waders, Sierra Trading Post has these Simms on sale. I bought a pair and tried them out yesterday. They work well and Simms is the gold standard. I am 5'9", 180 pounds with a size 9 foot, and the large fits me fine. I like them so much I ordered a second pair. That should keep me dry for a decade.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/simms- ... rFamily=01
Unfortunately, Bob passed in December. I never knew him, only seeing him once in a while when I went in for shooting supplies, etc. Always seemed like a great guy.
Thanks for the tip on the waders.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:29 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Nice to hear your year is off to a good start, Patrick. Tonnage, huh ? :wink: nice

Cecil, welcome! It's nowhere near as hard as you might think. I helped a guy learn to fish last year, and he was catching them in no time.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:01 pm 
Platinum Member

Took a new rod for a sping this morning, in the West Branch Farmington River (Barkhamsted, Conn.) and promptly caught this fat hawg.

Rod is an 11 foot 5 wt from an outfit in Colo. called Otto's. No idea who Otto is but he makes a big effing stick. I was looking at the Cortland euro-nymphing rods (about $219); the guy at the fly shop here is very high on them. But a 3 wt seems too light, I wouldn't get much use out of it. The 4 wt version was on my radar, in either 10.5 ft or 11 ft, but then I found Otto on eBay. The rod came in two days with a sock and tube for $138 shipped. I'd have to special order the Cortland. And the only other Cortland rod I owned broke on the second use, not from a giant fish or a car door, it just broke.

So I think I'm happy.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:21 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Nice fish. So are you doing that multi-fly super weighted nymph thing?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:03 am 
Platinum Member

Yep. Haystack on top, flashback nymph in middle, smaller prince below. This fish took the flashback.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:56 am 
Platinum Member

The "other" Housatonic — below the Trout Management Area, downstream from Cornwall Bridge.

This rather plump rainbow took a size 4 Little Brown Trout streamer on the swing.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:10 am 
Platinum Member

First fishing of 2015 Wednesday, March 11, West Branch of the Farmington River, permanent catch and release area.

Caught three sticks and spent about two of the four hours floundering through waist-deep snow.

But it was manly.

a guide boat was out

Tested a new 10 foot 4 weight rod. It was a gamble, a $135 rod from an unknown maker, but it handled three weighted nymphs and a two-streamer rig without difficulty, so unless it shatters when I catch a fish (as opposed to a stick) I think it's a success.

I'm always on the lookout for artsy nature shots

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 7:41 am 
Platinum Member

Lazily posting link to blog for latest fishing report

http://coiledpleasures.com/2015/05/19/m ... d-results/

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:24 am 
Platinum Member

This is called Sage's Ravine. It runs along the Conn./Mass. border in Salisbury. Part of the trail incorporates the Appalachian Trail, but not this bit.

The stream is absolutely packed with suicidal brook trout. The bigger the fly, the better. Dave's Hopper was the big winner, but they also took red Humpys, isonychia nymphs, Leadwing Coachmen wets, size 12 Parachute Adams, Stimulators, and whatever else I had in the big and hairy category. The winning fish was about 10 inches, a Leviathan for a stream like this, and it took a big Bitch Creek nymph. Must have been the rubber legs.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:39 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Magnificent photos Patrick- looks like fun.

My efforts have been spent w kids lately; helped a nephew catch his first fish! A small bass, on a worm + bobber. In about 8 inches of water. Unbelievable.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:36 pm 
$
$

We took a couple trips this summer, and got a little fishing in:
Rock Creek east of Missoula,
Quick trip up to the San Juan to fish the Kiddie Pool and the Braids.
And a trip down South to Cloudcroft for spring turkey

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:48 am 
Platinum Member

Right now it's all about the tiny streams and brook trout.

The Farmington is in great shape but the anglers are hatching. The Housatonic is running a little high but is certainly fishable.

But I really like hitting the small streams this time of year — before the understory grows up and I find myself in the middle of a thicket of prickers.

http://coiledpleasures.com/2016/03/25/secret-stream/

http://coiledpleasures.com/2016/03/17/s ... something/

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 214 posts ]  Go to page Previous 111 12 13 14 15 Next