Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 214 posts ]  Go to page Previous 111 12 13 14 15 Next
 Post subject: Re: Fishing
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 5:56 am 
Platinum Member

I got excited when I hauled these two brook trout in the 12"-14" range out of the local creek. Then downstream I saw trout swimming in circles, and realized the state hatchery truck had been by.

Some outfits sell expensive wader bags so anglers don't get their fancy cars dirty. Huh. I find that the extra-large LL Bean canvas tote bag is perfect for boots, waders and even a small child.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 1:27 pm 
Platinum Member

Report from the frozen wilds of Ulster County, N.Y.

http://coiledpleasures.blogspot.com/201 ... shing.html

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 4:21 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Looks good Patrick- nice fish.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:15 pm 
Platinum Member

Rain rain and more rain.

The Blackberry River, in East Canaan, Conn. June 1, about a foot and a half up from the usual flow this time of year. Fishable, barely. That's a dam in the background

A friend learning the tricky backhanded hopper-dropper nymph drift in the Blackberry. I know guys been fishing 20 years who can't do this.

Sunday, June 9, Furnace Brook in Cornwall Bridge, Conn. was the only game in town. Hard by Route 4, which means you get to hear the roar of traffic — especially groups of motorcycles.

Squirrelly, as you can see. I gave a new rod, an inexpensive LL Bean 6 1/2 foot 3 weight, a good tryout.

Caught dozens, literally, of crazy wild browns, most in the 8-10 inch range, but a couple were over a foot. They all took a small hopper with great enthusiasm.

I don't know who Heather was, but I thank her.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:18 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

That looks great! As long as the water's clear....

I am going out with my Father tomorrow. Hopefully I can put him on a few good spots I have discovered recently.. Getting him to use a nymph or streamer is another story.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:11 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Well nothing much to report- though we did catch fish, there were not any large ones. Father's day was unreal, the place was packed. Luckily, I know a few roads less traveled.
deleted apparently HUGE pics

Last edited by BenMN on Sat May 03, 2014 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:15 pm 

As a clamming thread might be a little gratuitous, I'll post here.

I broke out the clam rake and bushel for the first time this season. Low tide was around noon, so I started wading in at 11:30. Raking clams is exhausting, and it's even more exhausting your first time out for the year. But I had a decent haul.

Soon to become chowder.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:25 am 
Platinum Member

^I'd like to try that. Once.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:31 am 
Platinum Member

Big brown from Esopus Creek, Shandaken. N.Y., two weeks ago.

Watched a guy in flip-flops and cargo shorts catch and kill a really nice wild rainbow with salted minnows. I give him credit — not easy fishing live bait in a fast-moving freestone river, and he got wet, which most baitslingers will not do.

"That's going on the grill," he said as he clubbed it to death with a rock. OK. He's a meat fisherman and doesn't pretend to be anything else.

Managed to get myself a little dose of Lyme disease. Caught it early so the Lyme part is done; the Doxycycline Shuffle is another thing entirely.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:35 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Ice fishing is in full effect here. No thanks.

Here is a fat boy from last summer. March is the opener for barbless catch and release, which is all I do anyway.
oops, looks like I uploaded a huge pic, sorry!

Last edited by BenMN on Sat May 03, 2014 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:20 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Chile, 2014. Early January...
there were fish, too

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:19 pm 
Platinum Member

^ Just catching up with this. Does that lagoon come with a Brooke Shields? We can skip the boy.

Here is a sure sign of spring: my (unedited) annual tackle fondling column for the Lakeville Journal sports page. I write these out of love for the sport and the chance to say something outrageous.

Tackle fondling 2014

It's March 11. The sun is shining, and at noon it's about 50 degrees outside.
There are spring training baseball games on the radio. (The Mets are now on WOR, 710-AM.)
The Mt. Everest of plowed snow in my yard has shrunk to the size of a minor Matterhorn. The chipmunks are back. I expect a sighting of the albino skunk who lives under my living room any minute.
What does this mean?
It means it's time to dig out the fishing tackle and have a look.
Remember the stateroom scene in the Marx Brothers film “A Night at the Opera”? Various people keep cramming themselves into Otis B. Driftwood's tiny stateroom, and when critical mass is achieved, and the door is opened one last time, everybody spills out into the corridor.
That's what my fishing closet looks like.
Have you ever noticed the tendency of fly rod cases to leap joyfully from confinement? I have.
I have a large messenger bag crammed full of fly boxes. I have another large messenger bag full of reels. I have a third bag dedicated to more reels. And all the reels have lines on them, except for the spare spools I bought on eBay in a moment of weakness.
The fly boxes are in all shapes and sizes. The one thing they have in common is they are all crammed with flies.
Last year I tried organizing the flies. This was a disaster. There were too many of them. Some were so bizarre I suspected extraterrestrial intervention. Surely only someone who has recently been abducted, beamed up to a space ship, and had unspeakable liberties taken with the spinal fluids would willingly buy a fly that looks like the sort of chapeau sported by the late Carmen Miranda.
What I am going to do is buy four medium sized and one shirt pocket sized fly boxes from a company called Cliff. I have used them before, and they are sturdy and easy to use. These will be the go-to boxes, and I will fill them, as needed, with flies from the others.
Now to the reels. My practice in the past is to do nothing with them, and curse the line manufacturers for cracked and corroding lines.
This ignores the rather obvious fact that proper line care involves cleaning the lines at the end of the season, so they don't crack and disintegrate.
So while it's too late to worry about that, I will look the lines over carefully and see if anything needs replacing. Then I will probably not replace them until they actually fall apart.
But next winter, by golly, I will clean the lines before I put them away.
The most exciting part of spring tackle fondling is the wader leak test. Take the waders into the bathroom, turn on the tap, and fill them up with water.
Then, because water is heavy, drop the waders, making sure the water goes everywhere. Then mop the floor.
Congratulations! You have now made a good head start on spring cleaning!
Meanwhile, to test the waders for leaks, there are two options. The post-modern way is to fill the waders up again, keeping a firm grip this time, and see if they leak.
The manly, traditional way is to assume they don't leak, and test them on the first day it is feasible to fish. If there is a cold, clammy sensation in the lower limbs, they leak.
General regulations trout fishing in Connecticut begins Saturday, April 19. The catch-and-release areas on the Farmington and Housatonic rivers are open all year.
If you venture out while snow is still on the ground, be extra wary of ice. An unscheduled dunking is delightful in August but very problematic in March.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:02 pm 
$
$

Patrick wrote:
^
The most exciting part of spring tackle fondling is the wader leak test. Take the waders into the bathroom, turn on the tap, and fill them up with water.
Then, because water is heavy, drop the waders, making sure the water goes everywhere. Then mop the floor.
Congratulations! You have now made a good head start on spring cleaning!
Meanwhile, to test the waders for leaks, there are two options. The post-modern way is to fill the waders up again, keeping a firm grip this time, and see if they leak.
The manly, traditional way is to assume they don't leak, and test them on the first day it is feasible to fish. If there is a cold, clammy sensation in the lower limbs, they leak.
To that point, from a friend's blog:
http://sometimesfarafield.blogspot.com/ ... aders.html
I usually threaten Mrs. C that I'm just going to put on the waders and stand in the pool in the backyard to see if they leak...and shoot doves off the telephone line while I'm at it. I think she fears someday I actually will.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:29 pm 
Platinum Member

Hit the Housatonic for a couple hours yesterday. Broke off two legit hits on little stonefly nymphs. It was nice while the sun was out but that wasn't often. Got my arm wet because the reel spool wasn't attached properly and it fell off into three feet of water. Waders leak. Cold and fever worse. A good day, overall.

A couple others out — one guide boat and this fellow

Yrs truly, bundled up like Randy in "A Christmas Story."

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 1:05 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

^Looks like fun. "The manly way is to assume..." too funny. I missed early season, but am looking forward to a short trip to southern MN with my brother + father in the coming weeks. Also, I need to post about the streamer style fishing I did pretty much all last year. It's a solid technique.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 214 posts ]  Go to page Previous 111 12 13 14 15 Next