Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 214 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 515 Next
 Post subject: Re:Fishing
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:28 pm 
Platinum Member

Patrick wrote:
It's always open season on these:

Not too bright, good eatin' and easy to clean
What species is that...largemouth (b)ass? ;-)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:39 pm 
Platinum Member

The Rambler wrote:
Great photos, men. Patrick, is that the deep holler that's right off 44 a couple of miles from Millbrook, off, I think, Lithgow? I lived very near for a while. Missed our opening day (bad shoulder), but fed the General and his troop. He (she, I think) has to go 5 lbs.
Close — Deep Hollow is off 22 south of Amenia, just north of the Ten-Mile train station.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:02 pm 
$
$

I enjoy trout fishing in a light rain - raindrops on the water make it hard for the fish to see you, and, besides, it reminds me of Ireland. So I slipped out to my local in this morning's light spring rain, and hooked a nice brookie on my first cast, at which point downpour began (still going on). I stuck it out for 10 minutes, then beat a retreat.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:39 pm 
$
$

^Cane rod? Please tell us about it.

Scott

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:35 am 
$
$

Scott, it's an Orvis Wes Jordan,probably fom the 70s, 7 1/2 foot for HDG line, which is about a 5 or 6 weight. I inherited it from my father. It fishes well, doesn't cast as far as graphite, but better at protecting light tippets, and more sensitive when it comes to feeling a fish on the line. When I break it, I'll want to kill myself.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:56 pm 
$
$

It's a beut. I have a couple of old canes but nothing that nice. Using less-than-modern gear and equipment is a theme of mine. (Sort of like my clothes)

Scott

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:53 pm 
Platinum Member

I have a few of my father's Orvis rods, these are from the late 50s or early 60s. That HDG or HDH or whatever designation has always confused me; I always just fiddled around until I found a line that worked, usually a 6 or 7.

Of course with a slow action like those rods have you can get away with using all kinds of lines.

Amazing though what a day of casting one of those old rods does to the wrist and shoulder of the guy accustomed to today's featherweight rods. (Sore.)

For years my main rod was a 7 foot five weight bamboo rod made from a Phillipson blank by a guy named Emil Grimm, who was a rod maker for Orvis for years. He opened a shop in Phoenicia, N.Y. in the 1980s, just as the venerable Folkerts Bros. store turned its attention away from sporting goods and to imitation Black Forest cuckoo clocks, terra cotta gnomes, and other ersatz-Teutonic ephemera.

I broke one rod tip in New Mexico and the guy at the big fly shop in Albuquerque repaired it for me, so the rod is either the original 7 feet or 6 feet eight inches, depending on which one I grab.

That was my college graduation present, along with $500 and a bus ticket to Richmond, Va.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:21 pm 
$
$

Patrick, this weekend I took your suggestion, and tried hookless dry-fly fishing in the backyard pool. Had a blast!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:42 pm 
$
$

Scott, in the "less than modern gear" deparment, it's amazing what modern "technology" sometimes amounts to. To switch from fishing to golf, I suffered so much advice to replace my old MacGregors with modern technology that I did a little research, to learn just what the technolgy was that improved peoples' distance. In clubs, I concluded that it consists mainly of two things: first, the shafts are longer. In the old days a driver was 43, or at most 43.5 inches long. Anything longer was considered too hard to control. Now they're 45" long, or more. Very high tech. Second, with golf irons, distance was added by relabelling the lofts. The degree of loft that was once called a 7 iron is now called an 8 iron ( it's 8.5 actually).So where a 7 iron was once called for, now you can hit an easy 8. It's like vanity sizing in trousers. (Golf balls actually have been improved).

As for fly rods, I can easily cast a graphite trout rod 70 feet or so, where 50' is difficult with cane. But I rarely need more than a 30 foot cast :S Weight is, as Patrick says, an issue, 3 oz vs 5, but then, I prefer heavier.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:45 pm 
Platinum Member

The distance-casting emphasis puzzles me. I would say that 80 percent of the fish i have caught over the years — in rivers — have been within 30 feet of me.

But I was schooled to some degree by a couple of guys in New Mexico, who impressed on me the value of stealth. When I became a low-crawling fisherman my game improved exponentially. (My pants disimproved similarly.)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:45 pm 
Platinum Member

The Rambler wrote:
Patrick, this weekend I took your suggestion, and tried hookless dry-fly fishing in the backyard pool. Had a blast!
Did the General fall for it?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:28 pm 
$
$

hook,line, and sinker, so to speak.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 7:16 am 
Platinum Member

Fished the notoriously inconsistent Blackberry River in East Canaan, Conn. last night. This is a mountain brook that turns into a meadow stream; then it's dammed up at the site of an old iron furnace — Beckley Furnace, which jazzes up the water a bit. There is about two-three miles of decent trout water below Beckley and another, smaller dam about 100 yards downstream.

There's a big pool at Beckley; the state routinely chucks a bazillion rainbows in a week or two before official Opening Day in April. They get taken in pretty short order by the Garlic Cheese and Corn Brigade.

It's a curious mix of limestone shelf and free stone. The limestone, easily eroded, means there are surprisingly deep holes carved in the rock that create all sorts of cross-currents — and a nice place for fish to lurk and dine at their leisure.

The problem with the Blackberry is that by July it's too warm for trout for the most part. Bass move in from the Housatonic, another weird river.

Got two browns which probably came up from the Housatonic last fall, one stocker rainbow (which I kept) and, to my pleasant surprise, a very handsome brookie that was a full 12 inches. That's a rare fish.

I also encountered a bazillion mosquitos, all rejoicing in my presence.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 8:57 pm 
$
$

Patrick wrote:
Fished the notoriously inconsistent Blackberry River in East Canaan, Conn. last night. This is a mountain brook that turns into a meadow stream; then it's dammed up at the site of an old iron furnace — Beckley Furnace, which jazzes up the water a bit. There is about two-three miles of decent trout water below Beckley and another, smaller dam about 100 yards downstream.

There's a big pool at Beckley; the state routinely chucks a bazillion rainbows in a week or two before official Opening Day in April. They get taken in pretty short order by the Garlic Cheese and Corn Brigade.

It's a curious mix of limestone shelf and free stone. The limestone, easily eroded, means there are surprisingly deep holes carved in the rock that create all sorts of cross-currents — and a nice place for fish to lurk and dine at their leisure.

The problem with the Blackberry is that by July it's too warm for trout for the most part. Bass move in from the Housatonic, another weird river.

Got two browns which probably came up from the Housatonic last fall, one stocker rainbow (which I kept) and, to my pleasant surprise, a very handsome brookie that was a full 12 inches. That's a rare fish.

I also encountered a bazillion mosquitos, all rejoicing in my presence.
this season will be very bad. watch out for west nile
enjoyed your 1,200 posting. keep it up

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 11:42 pm 

Definitely keep writing about fishing, Patrick. I will live vicariously through your descriptions.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 214 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 515 Next