PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:46 pm 
Platinum Member

We're gonna need a fishing thread.

Post subject: Re:Fishing
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:00 pm 
$
$

Home Water

Southwest of Philadelphia there are five parallel creeks, a few miles apart, that flow into the mighty Delaware: Darby, Ithan, Crum, Ridley, and Chester creeks. They're not big, and near the river they flow through urban and suburban areas which no one could call pleasant, but upstream about 8 or 10 miles, where the population is less dense, they look like many of the other small trout streams Pennsylvania is known for. Crum Creek, which is about 15 miles from center city Philadelphia, is spring fed, and designated "exceptional value, class A coldwater" by the state DER. A couple of hundred yards of it flows through my back yard, and I have one decent pool on the property, pictured above.

About a mile downstream it flows, for about 3/4 of a mile, through a big, estately farm. About 60 years ago the owner, a cigar smoking, outdoorsy woman, who had driven an ambulance in the Spanish Civil War, granted the Broadacres Trouting Associaton exclusive fishing rights to her section of the creek in return for a little stream maintainance, and an annual stocking. Today was stocking day. The club was founded by 6 young men, who had just been mustered out of the army at the end of WW2, who thought it would be fun to have trout fishing a few minutes from home, rather than 2 hours away in the Poconos, or Carlisle. The club now has 25 members, a number of them in their 80s, and since the annual dues are $150, a long, like 5 years, waiting list.We've been getting fish from the same hatchery through our history. Today we put in Brooks and Browns. In late April, we'll stock rainbows. Fly fishing only, of course. Today's stocking was attended by 7 or 8 members, and maybe 5 or 6 boys and girls, who can't wait til the season opens, and they can go fishing with Dad.

It's just a put and take fishery, and we put in more, and bigger fish than the stream could support in the state of nature, even if it didn't flow through suburban Megalopolis, but they do hold over (I counted almost 30 fish in the various pools last week) and even reproduce (every year we get a few 4-6 inchers. The creek has decent bug life, but we supplement with floating trout pellets. No one likes fishing for wild trout in wild country more than I do (well, check that, I'm sure many do), but there's something to be said for having fun trout fishing in the neighborhood.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:13 pm 
$
$

and, if any of you men find yourself in Philly, with a few free hours, shoot me a pm and if Im free, I'll take you fishing. By late May, most people fish it wet.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:15 pm 
Platinum Member

^ Very nice set up for the back yard.

In Phoenicia, N.Y. a major tributary of the Esopus Creek is the Woodland Valley Creek (known to us as "the brook.")

"Us" are the contributors to the Woodland Trout Fund. We have no specific dues; members give what they can. I generally kick in $50.

For that we get stocked browns in a two-mile or so stretch of the medium-sized stream.

Several decades ago Paul O'Neil, who was one of the original Sports Illustrated guys, and a guy named Fred Muehleck went around Woodland Valley, gently putting the arm on landowners to allow trespassing for fly-fishing only. Paul's son Mike now carries the torch, and I have a feeling it will devolve to me at some point.

When I send my money to Mike each spring, he sends back two vinyl trout — one for the vest and one for the rear view mirror. Visiting anglers are welcome, but they will likely find a note tucked under the windshield wiper inviting them to kick in a few bucks. And most of them do.

Woodland gets some holdovers and plenty of the wild 'bows from the big river.

Stocking is Memorial Day weekend and has become quite the family event.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:03 pm 
$
$

Sounds delightful. The presidency of Broadacres devolved on me about 10 years ago, and I'm happy to do it, as I'm sure you will be. The backyard pool has been designated "no fishing" by me, but it's poached by a great blue heron. I have a brown named General Sherman who's lasted 3 years now, who rules the place.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:10 pm 
Platinum Member

Take the hook completely off a fly and see what the General does with it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:47 pm 
$
$

Bravo Patrick and Rambler. You're doing things they way they ought to be done.

I like the idea of fishing, and have an embarrassing variety of good water within an hour's drive, but I always seem to be too busy or lazy or something.

Scott

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:32 pm 
$
$

No one is too lazy for fishing, Scott, and busy is a weak excuse, too :laugh:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:41 am 
$
$

You know, I just might try a hookless fly on the General, Patrick. I have a friend who claims he would get 99% of the pleasure from fishing hookless, though I've never known him to actually do it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:25 am 
Platinum Member

^It's fun, actually, although I readily admit I've only ever done it by accident — when I managed to snip the hook off instead of flattening the barb, my normal practice.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:22 pm 

Sounds fun, but I am an offshore, big fish guy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:26 pm 
Platinum Member

It's always open season on these:

Not too bright, good eatin' and easy to clean

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:22 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

No fish pics from todays trip to the lower Kinnie in Wisconsin. These two shots are of the seeps, some call it the weeping wall. There are springs that trickle down the wall in summer- in winter they freeze, creating these ice masses. Lots of kayakers today but the trout don't mind.
The "aluminum hatch" in progress ;)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:36 am 
Platinum Member

In the Esopus, Ulster county, N.Y., we have the rubber hatch (tubers).

Yesterday in Deep Hollow, Dutchess county, N.Y. — spring hasn't quite made it in the hollow.

Brookies should be running around by now, but let's be fair, two days ago it snowed.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:06 am 
$
$

Great photos, men. Patrick, is that the deep holler that's right off 44 a couple of miles from Millbrook, off, I think, Lithgow? I lived very near for a while. Missed our opening day (bad shoulder), but fed the General and his troop. He (she, I think) has to go 5 lbs.