Post subject: Re: Show us your pocket knife
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 12:09 pm 
Platinum Member

Whoa. You've got me beat!

The top one on the right is the ubiquitous Buck 110, which might be a candidate for "Traddest knife" on AAAT. ;)

Below are a Case and a couple of Col. Littletons.

I tried carrying a knife on my keychain for a while (hence the little blue Buck and tiny SAK), but never really warmed to the idea. I'd rather just carry the knife separately.

I also have a Gerber folding hunter* that a contractor left at my house. I was never able to get in touch with him to retrieve it, so I just had it sharpened and kept it. It lives in the glove compartment of my car now.

*I just went out and looked at it. It's a Gerber Gator II, like this one.

Last edited by Topsider on Sun May 13, 2012 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 12:20 pm 
Platinum Member

Mercworx Orion for the hypothetical "You get to take just one of your existing knives with you to a completely isolated island" question. S30V. Kydex sheath.

RJ Martin Handyman, kydex sheath. His knives are the sharpest blades I've ever owned. Period. Most knives that people consider very sharp are like a bowling ball compared to an RJ Martin blade.

The Syderco ATR with the much-improved integral frame lock. Unlike its predecessors, that thing is strong.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 12:23 pm 
Platinum Member

There are very few areas where I wander from the Trad Canon: Cheap boring booze, and purely classical blades. :D

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 4:10 pm 
$
$

Left to right:
Ugliest Kershaw ever, but a great knife with spring assisted blade,
CRKT titanium,
Kershaw Ken Onion, also with spring assist,
Benchmade Osborne,
Benchmade Ti Mel Purdue moneyclip,
Kershaw inlaid that I've had since I was in grade school, still the one I carry on a daily basis,
DU swiss army.

Somewhere along the line I lost my Buck folder, and somewhere in all my junk I have my dad's old penknife, but I can't seem to find it.

I've also got a bunch of cheap folders that I carry when shooting, hunting, etc. because I don't really care if they get damaged or lost.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 5:11 pm 
$
$

Those are sharp looking blades, boys. I recently picked up a couple of Bucks at a 50% off gob sale at a local sporting goods store:

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 5:23 pm 
$
$

Ensiferous, that Gallagher is a work of art. On the subject of sharpness, I have a couple of artisan-made Japanese kitchen knives that are right up there with anything I've ever tried.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 9:58 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Very nice knives Ensiferous.

A few weeks ago I took some pictures at the Pendleton Spring Festival. There was a knife maker's booth there. Unfortunately I can't remember his name, but here's a picture.

All I've got is a Case (that's too pretty to carry), a buck whose blade is coated in tobacco (from cutting rolls), and a CRKT and SAK that get carried every day. Lots of flour in there.

Conor

Nevermind, here's the maker: http://www.the2jakescustomknives.com/

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 2:06 pm 
$
$

wonderful web page, Conor, thanks for posting.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 11:05 pm 

Gift from my dad a few years ago. Bark River Knife and Tool with stag handle.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:12 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Hardiw1 wrote:
Gift from my dad a few years ago. Bark River Knife and Tool with stag handle.

That's a great looking knife. I would love to have a compact, non-folder with a stag handle.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:00 am 

Thank you, Jordan. It was a great gift.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:58 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Hey men- I don't know much about knives, but here's what I'm thinking: I'm sure it was TripEnglish who linked to the site of Sid Mashburn. I was looking around and noticed these little knives-
http://www.sidmashburn.com/shop/extras/ ... ife-5.html
What attracted me was the different wood handles- my dad works with trees and really likes things made from different/special woods. But how are these little knives? And what about the price- fair?? I would like to buy one for him as a gift, but do not want to overpay for something of marginal quality, just for a brand name, or to get it from a specific retailer. I also would like to keep the price around $100 (where these are at).

Good idea? or any other suggestions? It does not need to be a big knife or even razor sharp- just good quality & wood handle without 500% markup. Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:02 pm 
$
$

Very good looking, boxwood is indeed unusual. Lagouile stuff is costly - I have a waiter-type corkscrew from them, with grapevine handle, that cost about that. Very well made. All their stuff has their signature bee on it, which I really like. Blade a nice shape, should be good steel for that price. That type of blade lock can be a little less secure than the other kind (don't know the terms), but probably fine. Though you might get a good knife for 20 or 30 bucks less, that is a handsome, distinctive pocket knife, and would make a fine present.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:55 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

^Thank you for your experience and opinion Rambler. I remember when I was a chef- the wine steward (good buddy of mine) had one of those too. Always good to make friends with the sommelier.
An internet search of the lagioule brand turned up all sorts of things, seemingly across the price (and potentially quality) spectrum. I think I will go ahead and order this to go with the BB madras I picked up for him the other day.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:00 pm 
$
$

He'll love it - a good pocket knife, something with character, is an intensley personal item, just the kind of thing you want to get from your son.