Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 364 posts ]  Go to page Previous 121 22 23 24 25 Next
 Post subject: Re: Weekend Plans
PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 12:16 am 
$
$

Going to Santa Fe for a last trip to Bobcat Bite for green chile cheeseburgers before they are forced to close in early June. This is a sad sad day for a local institution.

The Bobcat is/was located about 10 miles south of SF on Old Pecos Trail and had been in existence "forever" when we moved there in '77. We are meeting up with a high school friend who has lived there his whole life and can't remember a time without the Bobcat. It was the epitomy of a local's joint where everyone knows everyone and had the best GCCBs I've ever eaten. Apparently, recent exposure on the cable networks and print media convinced the lessors that they not only should get a sizable increase in rents, but also that they have all the "rights" to the business that the proprietors so lovingly built. No matter that this tiny place only seats about 15 people. Greed once again puts an end to a beloved slice of small town life.

This is it, the whole place! It was filled with an hour wait 5 minutes after they opened at 11. We were first on the sign-in board.

And this is heaven on a bun!

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:40 am 

Great looking cheeseburger.
Friday: out to dinner with the wife.
Saturday: KXT summer cut concert at Fair Park. Avett Brothers, Dawes, lots of other up and coming acts. Going with good friend and neighbor.
Sunday: Mass at 11:15, running, grill and chill.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:33 pm 
$
$

A few photos from our trip up to Bayfield and the Apostle Islands:

Houghton Falls and the Echo Dells, not exactly huge, but very unique.

This poor post office is now only open a few hours each day.

Deer on the island are very tame, this one was about 10 feet from the car.

This was the weather three out of the four days we were up there.

There is a classical music camp on the island for high school kids and the instructors put on performances throughout the Summer, this one was the Jupiter String Quartet from the University of Champagne-Urbana and they played in an old 50 seat church.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:35 pm 
Platinum Member

Heaven on Earth, Brian. You are a lucky guy to have such a beautiful wife, a baby on the way and vacationing on the Apostles!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:17 pm 
$
$

Billax wrote:
Heaven on Earth, Brian. You are a lucky guy to have such a beautiful wife, a baby on the way and vacationing on the Apostles!
I feel the same way!

Brian

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:50 pm 
$
$

We're going up to Santa Fe on Friday to spend a couple days before year-end busy season has me down in the dumps. Friday night is the alumni Christmas party at my prep school. I will have to work the donations table for a bit, but otherwise it will be a great evening of catching up with friends and cajoling recent grads into getting involved with the school. Saturday we plan to go to the Goya exhibit at the NM Museum of Art. Mrs. C is looking forward to a well deserved break from watching the 5 year old grandson and his puppy. It will be a great lazy vacation only an hour away from home.
Sartorial note: Friday's rig will consist of a 3/2, 3 patch sack blazer, OCBD, J Press navy Gryphon tie (school mascot is the blue griffin), and khakis.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:05 am 

Long time, no plans. . . . heading out to northeast Texas this weekend, Lake Cypress Springs to my neighbor's lake house. No cell phone reception but we are smoking a turkey breast and venison and catching up with friends after a long hiatus from the holidays. Horseshoes, good wine, good music and a fire pit. Should be fun.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:42 pm 
$
$

Well, after my department working every single day, holidays, weekends, since new years to close the books, Mrs C and I are taking off on Thursday to St Helena, CA for an extended weekend. We take extra empty luggage to bring home our club shipments from Raymond, Grgich, and Chandon (as well as a few others)! Dinner at Ad Hoc on Thursday and Cindy's on Friday. We'll squeeze in a few other wineries, and snacks at Bouchon Bakery. Goose & Gander, Taylor's Refresher. and maybe a few others. Plenty of napping going on also. Then back to Berkeley to meet up with Mrs C's sister on Saturday.

Oh, I forgot I got 2 days off for duck hunting on MLK weekend, but was up at 3:30 AM both days. Fun, but not very relaxing!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:24 am 

Heading down to NOLA this first weekend of Mardis Gras:
Lunch at Restaurant R'evolution on Friday
Dinner at Arnaud's on Friday night.
Saturday: Felix's, catch couple of parades, dinner at GW Fins.
Sunday: more parades, Mystic Krewe of Barkus, Cafe du Monde perhaps. . .
Monday: lunch at Mister B's Bistro, stroll along the river and head home. . .

Staying at the Soniat House which I highly recommend. Quiet end of the FQ.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:44 pm 
$
$

Don't think I'm jealous or anything. W stayed about two doors down on Chartres last time we were there (by the Beauregard-Keyes house. It was great, definitely a bit little away from the crazy part of the quarter. Don't know what it's like during Mardi gras, though...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:38 am 

cecil47 wrote:
Don't think I'm jealous or anything. W stayed about two doors down on Chartres last time we were there (by the Beauregard-Keyes house. It was great, definitely a bit little away from the crazy part of the quarter. Don't know what it's like during Mardi gras, though...
It's still quiet on that end of the FQ during Mardis Gras. If you do go, I recommend the first weekend as it seems more family oriented and much less crowded than the 2nd weekend. The parades aren't quite as opulent but still just as fun.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:35 pm 
$
$

Thanks, that's sound advice.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:21 pm 
$
$

Putting front skid plate and rear diff protector on the Subaru. Maybe I'll change the oil first.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:48 pm 
$
$

More work on the subie today, the rear diff protector took much more "persuading" than I expected last weekend. Oil change & new foglight bulbs today. Fitted the front skidplate but left it off because I'll just have to remove it to change out the front suspension soon.. Then off to the matinee performance of The Addams Family at UNM's concert hall, which was great. An early dinner out, and back home before dark. We must be getting old!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:24 pm 
$
$

Not really weekend plans, but off to Austin next Wed-Friday for work. Meeting is in Bastrop at Lost Pines, but we will get into Austin proper for the evenings, I'm sure.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 364 posts ]  Go to page Previous 121 22 23 24 25 Next