Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 364 posts ]  Go to page Previous 118 19 20 21 2225 Next
 Post subject: Re: Weekend Plans
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:14 pm 
$
$

The Rambler wrote:
Off tomorrow early to Colorado Springs, bro-in-law's 50th anniversary party. My kids will be attending, which is a big deal for me: hard to get everyone together. A couple of days in the Springs (a place I do not care for), then off to a rented cabin in the mountains, fishing, hiking, riding, maybe a little family Monopoly after dinner, a few games of whiffle ball, things like that. Not far from a broken-down hippie hot springs I know of, full of broken down hippies. Should be a wonderful week
nephew,
have a wonderful week. enjoy having the children on this vacation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:42 pm 
$
$

Off to Santa Fe this evening for our annual opera trip. Excited to see Tosca this year. Having dinner tonight (at the Shed) with a fast high school and college friend with whom I had lost touch for 25 years or so. Happens we met up with the lady he is dating and got back in touch, and picked up just like we'd seen each other yesterday. After dinner will be consumed with good conversation, Booker's (Chandon for mrs. C), and cigars. Tomorrow a lazy day, late tapas lunch at La Boca, and the Opera. Friends coming up from UFO town (Roswell) to spend the weekend. Saturday is a porcini hunt in the Jemez mtns and dinner at the Compound. Sunday breakfast with friends of mrs. C ( the better half of said taught french at my prep school until this year), and then home. A great vacation only an hour away.

Next Thursday we're off for a week in Missoula, MT, Glacier, and Portland.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:50 pm 
Platinum Member

A performance of "Tosca" was shown (in part) in the last James Bond move, "Quantum of Solace." It looked really weird. Is that a fair example of what the opera is like, or is the movie version some kind of postmodern reinterpretation?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:56 pm 
$
$

Topsider wrote:
A performance of "Tosca" was shown (in part) in the last James Bond move, "Quantum of Solace." It looked really weird. Is that a fair example of what the opera is like, or is the movie version some kind of postmodern reinterpretation?
Not having seen the movie, I watched a clp on utube. First, not NEARLY so many dinner jackets. I think I was one of 10 or so. About equal to the number of cargo shorts & flip-flops. Also, no giant eyes in the Santa Fe production. The set design, althugh described as off-kilter in some reviews, was tame in comparison to the Bond. Tosca is a great classic tragedy, and we enjoyed it thoroughly.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:11 am 
$
$

Just back from Santa Fe. Opera on Friday was great. Saturday went hunting the wily porcini in the Jemez mountains. The fungi were too sneaky for us this trip, only got a patch of oyster mushrooms and saw a few Aspen boletes and a slippery jack. 2 years ago in the same area we came away with probably 40 lbs of porcini and cauliflower mushrooms in half a day. This year has been hot and dry, so I think we are too early. Also, parts of the area were ravaged by the Las Conchas fire last year. Whole ponderosa pines completely burned, including the roots underground, leaving only collapsed tunnels which look like giant gopher dens. Boy, that must have been one hot mess. Did see several muley does and a couple elk.

Ate lots of good food, and enjoyed the company of friends.

Off the Missoula on Thursday for a few to see the step-daughter & husband, and Glacier NP. Then to Portland for a couple days and back home.

Anyone have restaurant suggestions in Porland, I'd love to hear them.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:38 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Your trip sounds great Cecil.

Rambler- take any pictures?

For me:
a much needed trip to MN's north shore (of lake superior). Forecast calls for highs of 70-80, lows in the 50's.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:20 pm 
$
$

Looks like fun, Ben. Nifty tent. No CO fishing photos, however, I depart Sunday for 9 days of salmon fishing in Labrador, a much looked forward to adventure, and I hope to have some pictures of that. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:47 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

That sounds great- have fun and safe travels. I am going to Blue Damsel in Montana at the end of August with my father and brother- Blackfoot, Bitterroot, etc...I fished the upper Kinnie in WI yesterday, as the lower entrance/state park has been completely deconstructed for a new bridge to be put in. It looks like a warzone, but I'm sure it will turn out nice. Upper river is different than lower, with tons of [wild] trout (8XXX per mile) in the 6-10" range. No pics, as it was rainy and new territory for me.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:52 pm 
$
$

I've never fished that Missoula area, and look forward to a full report. I looked up the website for the lodge, and it looks lush. Don't forget to bring a few hoppers, and I guess damsel patterns, too. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:16 am 

BenMN wrote:
Your trip sounds great Cecil.

Rambler- take any pictures?

For me:
a much needed trip to MN's north shore (of lake superior). Forecast calls for highs of 70-80, lows in the 50's.
That looks awesome. I need to get back to the woods/trail again. Currently planning for a 3-4 day hike in AR this coming fall. They are in dire need of rain, though, and will have to plan carefully for water.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:06 am 

Friday: boring. Watching the Rangers on the back porch, spraying with Off, trying to avoid becoming the next case of West Nile Virus in Dallas.

Saturday: Better. Old high school chum visiting as he passes through town. Not for long though. Just a 1-2 hour catch up. Going out with the wife to Toulouse, smallish French bistro near where we live. Great french fries and red wine.

Sunday: Mass at 11:15. On sabbatical from Chalice Bearer duties so it's a bit more relaxing. Just bought a patio mister for the incessant 100+ degree days we are experiencing here lately. It too will get much use this weekend.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:10 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

Saturday I have a few friends coming into the town and we're going to hit the range to shoot a bit. Not much else going on for me this weekend. The baby will be here in less than two weeks, so I'm sure we'll be working on the nest a little.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:33 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Beefeater wrote:
I need to get back to the woods/trail again...
Great idea- it is good for the soul.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:36 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

JordanW wrote:
Saturday I have a few friends coming into the town and we're going to hit the range to shoot a bit..
Sounds fun- I am going to get back out there soon. I have been practicing with a new-used 870 my brother gifted to me. Good fun, and a great way to spend time with people we might otherwise seldom see.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:37 am 

Friday: Grilling red snapper, hanging on the back patio, watching the Rangers play.
Saturday: dinner with the wife and one of her old law school mates at Local which is in Deep Ellum near downtown.
Sunday: Mass at 11:15. Lazy afternoon.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 364 posts ]  Go to page Previous 118 19 20 21 2225 Next