Post subject: Fishing 2020
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:05 am 
Platinum Member

"Social distancing" is a long-standing practice among anglers. In fact, I'd go so far as to insist the proper term is "anti-social distancing."

The lockdowns more or less coincided with the start of trout season in Connecticut and New York, where I do the bulk of my fishing.

So while most people were binging on television shows they wouldn't have considered weeks earlier, I was out and about, getting some fresh air, catching fish and successfully avoiding my fellow man.

I always figured the maximum amount of time people would put up with a pseudo-quarantine would be about three months. The protests and riots might have pushed that up a bit, but with the warm weather people around here are flooding to any and all outdoor recreation spots.

The crowds along the Esopus Creek in Ulster County, N.Y. are like Opening Day in Roscoe. (That's a lot of people, for you non-anglers.)

Masks appear to be optional, with most opting for no mask. Perhaps they keep one in the car in case they have to stop somewhere.

I use a fishing buff (or gaiter), which is designed to keep the sun off the neck and lower face. I've gotten used to it. Similar to an ascot...well, no, not really. But I tried.

Anyhoo the spring season was pretty decent, if cold and wintry. Then we had about ten minutes of actual spring and shifted straight into summer and bass season.

Here are some haunts:

And some fish